Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Spontaneous Human Combustion




I am calling it right now. I am the only known survivor of Spontaneous Human Combustion. Today the Mashburns embarked on a journey to the Grand Canyon for our Summer Family Vacation. The day began at 3:20am (for me) and you can see what time this post is. We had heard news reports of the heat out west, but you always hear “There is no humidity, so you don’t feel hot”. NOT TRUE. When we got off the plane in Phoenix it was 106 degrees. And it felt like 106 degrees. After cramming all of Melissa’s luggage into our rental car, we set off for a short trek to Flagstaff where we are staying to explore the Grand Canyon and other things in the area. On the way, we drove through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, which leads me to my near demise. In Sedona, we stopped to see Montezuma’s castle – which sounds pretty cool and it was. The problem was the unbelievable heat. It was so hot, it was hard to breathe. Not long after I boasted “I could burst into flames any moment. Let’s get back in the car” Melissa and the boys saw smoke coming from the top of my head. Being the quick thinking wife that she is, they quickly doused me with water and, it would seem, averted what would have certainly been a catastrophe. The weird thing is that neither of them remembers the part after I said I might burst into flames. I think maybe the heat got to them. Besides the oppressive heat, it has been an amazing trip so far. I posted some pics below to share.

1 comment:

Brian Vasil said...

awesome update and story! Stay cool!

Best to All,

BV

Google Analytics