Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Car Line

I have discovered that car line is a very precise science. As part of my fatherly duties, I take my oldest son to school each morning.
On the first day of school, we left 20 minutes before school because it is only 5 minutes away. He was 5 minutes late. This is absolutely the worst car line I have ever seen. Even though I am sure they know more about it than I do, I have some theories (surprisingly) on how to make it better.
Nevertheless, we adjusted our departure time to 35 minutes before school starts and I would drop him off with 10 minutes to spare - the whole ordeal taking me about 35 minutes.
By a twist of fate, one day we left 5 minutes early (40 minutes before school starts) and I got him there in 10 minutes and completed the whole trip in 20 minutes. That has become our new routine.
It is hard for me to believe that the whole flow is so precise that 5 minutes can make a 15 minute difference, but today we left 5 minutes late and it took me 35 minutes again.
Oh well, I guess people are more routine oriented than they would like to believe. It is also interesting to note that we pass the same people running and walking in the morning in almost exactly the same places.

No comments:

Google Analytics